Monday, January 08, 2007

Troi's Birthday Aftermath


IMG_0965
Originally uploaded by cf.sucks.
The aftermath of a successful birthday celebration is a miracle to behold. It's a FREAKING miracle we made it through another wonderful event without too much chaos!

Having a child born so close to Christmas is not an easy parental assigment from the heavens. No, it's more of a multi-taskers nightmare.

Troi was born on December 24, 1997.

He was my Christmas gift that year. The same year I received my very first computer. Two HUGE milestones in one fail swoop. Not too shabby if you ask me.

Celebrating Troi's birthday is the easiest of all yearly holiday tasks. It's the preparation for it that kills me every year. I know when it happens- every year at the same time. So why do I punish myself this way?

I have put these crazy limitations on myself. For instance, my rule has always been that we don't put any Christmas decor up until AFTER we have Troi's party. We usually have Troi's party the weekend before Christmas. So that leaves me NO TIME to truly enjoy my precious decorations...some that I have had for many years and some that just my absolute favorites - my Christmas carousel collection.

Why do I not just put up the damned decorations right after Thanksgiving? So I have more time to enjoy them and less stress to put them up only to take them down 2 weeks later.

I have asked Troi and he doesn't mind. So that tells me it's a self-limiting, self-imposed, self-neurosis that I freaking do to myself every year.

He's 9 now! It's time to stop this craziness. Next year I am putting the decorations up early AND still having the amazing party for Troi we do every single year.

Wow, do I feel better or what?!?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home